Thursday, September 4, 2014

Caged Wolf by Heather Long - Review



Triplets, the Buckley brothers were inseparable until everything went wrong one violent, bloody night. A.J. Buckley, the eldest of the trio, faced a human trial for a brutal murder. Found guilty, he was sentenced to twenty-five to life. Without argument or regret, he accepted the sentence. After six years in prison, A.J.’s conviction is overturned on a technicality and he returns to Willow Bend to face a new Alpha and fresh charges.

Vivian Knox was the only witness to the murder. She refused to testify in the human courtroom and spent a year in prison on contempt charges. Once released, she worked tirelessly to free A.J., finally locating a loophole in the case against him. Satisfied with his freedom, the last thing she expected was to be kidnapped to the back of beyond where another judge demands she testify to what she saw that night. This time, contempt is the least of her problems.

Only four people know exactly what happened that night and none are talking. When pack law threatens Vivian, A.J. must stake his claim, but his wolf might be too damaged to help him…


A.J. has spent six long years in prison for a night that was bloody and violent, one he swore everyone involved to secrecy about. Vivian Knox was the only witness, she swore to keep the night a secret, and finds herself in jail for a year on contempt charges, when she emerges, she works hard to free A.J. Once he’s free she’s headed somewhere far away, somewhere she can forget all about that night.

A.J. is a great hero, he’s damaged, but I imagine for anyone six years in prison is going to take a toll, especially if you’re a wolf shifter who has to suppress your animal side to survive. A.J expects to return to Willow Bend to face his death, since he did the unthinkable killed a human unprovoked, or so the official story goes. I’m not going to go into details, but not everything is as it seems. I really enjoyed the way Ms. Long worked to include some moments of humor that broke up the serious nature of parts of this story.

It’s obvious to me that A.J. and Vivian were meant to be together from the start. While they don’t deny the attraction, they seem to be the last ones to realize how deep it really goes. I loved that Vivian works hard to free and protect A.J. at every turn, even though they don’t even really know each other that well.

I highly recommend this story, I could go on about it forever. It’s got great main characters, some fantastic supporting characters that I can only hope get their own books and a bit of a mystery as pieces of what really happened that night and what’s going on with Vivian are revealed slowly and expertly.


Pick it up, it’s a fun read, an enjoyable read and one that I know I’ll revisit in the future.




I received a copy for the purpose of review. I was not compensated for my review.  





1 comment:

  1. I love when someone who is a great person and totally hilarious gets a great review. (Of course it also keeps my money out of my wallet and into the Kindle store.)

    ReplyDelete